Anyone who’s driven on Mississippi roads knows that there are many semitrucks traveling through the state. These vehicles are very large and heavy. They can cause catastrophic injuries to occupants of passenger vehicles if they’re involved in a crash.
Victims of semitruck crashes may require urgent medical care. This can be very expensive. In some cases, they may also have to deal with a reduction or loss of income because they can’t work due to their injuries. Those victims may choose to seek compensation for the damages they suffer. This means that they need to determine the cause of the crash so they can name the proper entities as the defendants.
What are some common causes of big rig crashes?
Semitruck crashes occur for a number of reasons. Some of the more common causes of big rig wrecks include:
- Trucker error: speeding, driving recklessly, fatigued driving, drunk driving or distracted driving
- Improper cargo loading: failing to secure cargo so it doesn’t shift or come off the trailer
- Lax maintenance: not checking things like the braking system and tires
- Defective components: parts on the truck that don’t work as they should due to manufacturing issues
- Other drivers: stopping suddenly in front of a semitruck or weaving in and out around the trucker
It’s possible that multiple entities will be liable for the crash. It’s imperative that you include them all in your case so you have the best chance of receiving appropriate compensation. Because these cases are often complex, you should consult an attorney as soon as possible. There are time limits to these cases, so getting started as soon as possible may help you to avoid having to file a rushed case.